What information do we collect?
We collect information from you when you log in to the websites, use the donor mobile app, update your personal profile, place an order in our online stores, donate blood, attend a training event, subscribe to email notifications or publications, respond to an online survey, or submit a Webform.
When logging in, ordering, or performing other transactions on the websites, you may be asked to enter your name, job title, birth date, age, email address, mailing address or phone number, and, if you are acting on behalf of your employer, the employer’s name. We also collect information automatically including:
- the IP address of the computer you use to access the website,
- the browser and internet domain used,
- the operating system used by your browser,
- the date and time of access to the website,
- undeleted cookies,
- navigation information, including the site from which you were referred, if any; and
- pages visited on the website.
You may visit the websites without providing personal information; however, performing certain transactions on the websites may not be possible without providing such information. h5>Mobile Information The websites may not be optimized or intended for use on mobile devices. If you access the websites on mobile devices, additional information, such as geolocation data, may be collected.
The websites may not be optimized or intended for use on mobile devices. If you access the websites on mobile devices, additional information, such as geolocation data, may be collected.
The website is not intended for use by children under 13 years old. Any child under 13 years old must have his or her parent’s permission to use the website.
How do we use your information?
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
- To personalize your experience. Your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs.
- To improve the website. We continually strive to improve the website offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you.
- To respond to questions and concerns, and to improve customer service. Your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs.
- To process transactions and conduct general business activities. For example, your information may be shared with third-party service providers who use it to perform functions on our behalf. These companies or individuals may perform services such as processing orders; sending mail, email or text messages; or providing marketing or database marketing services, search engine optimization analysis or call center services, among others.
- To administer a contest, promotion, survey, or other site feature.
- To send periodic emails. We may use email addresses you provide to send you information and updates pertaining to our products and services that you use, in addition to sending occasional company news, updates, or related product or service information, etc. If you wish to restrict the use of your email address in any way, please call 877-25-VITAL (877-258-4825).
- To schedule blood donations. By giving us your telephone number(s), including your cell phone number, you acknowledge that you, as the subscriber of the number(s), expressly consent to this future contact, including contact via autodial or auto-text message. We may use cellular telephone numbers you provide to call you or send you text messages to schedule blood donations, to notify you of upcoming donation events or to remind you of your donation appointments. Even if you don’t agree to allow notices to your cellular telephone, we can call your home or office telephone to schedule donations, notify you of donation events, and provide appointment reminders.
- To notify you of important medical information. In the process of collecting, testing, processing or transfusing blood or blood products donated by you, we may need to inform you of important medical information that may affect your health, including infectious diseases. We also collect, and may provide as a service to our donors, certain health information such as cholesterol levels. However, it is important that you still see your personal physician for care.
- To identify new or modified needs that can be fulfilled by our organization.
- To comply with law, for regulatory purposes, or for accreditation or compliance purposes.
- To complete an order in our online stores. An email address is required for confirmation and delivery of your order.
How do we protect your information?
We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information. We use a secure server for payment transactions. All supplied sensitive/credit information is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology. Sensitive data is also encrypted in the payment gateway provider’s database, which is accessible only by those with authority who are performing authorized functions. We limit the data that we retain to the data needed for the purpose. You can help protect your information by protecting and not sharing your username and password. However, it is not possible to absolutely guarantee the safety of electronic information.
How long is your information stored?
Storage of information is based on the type of information and its use. General information includes information such as username and passwords, information regarding donations and donation appointments, and general business transaction information. Payment information is not considered general business transaction information and is addressed in the next paragraph. Vitalant has a document management policy that governs retention of information. Retention is based on legal and business needs. After a payment transaction, your private information, such as credit card numbers and purchase order numbers, will not be stored on our servers any longer than it is necessary to complete the transaction.
Do we sell personal information to third parties?
Combination With Other Information
Other than appointment information, we do not combine information from the websites with information gathered during blood donation appointments. Information that includes identifiable health information may be subject to additional protections.
Third Party Links
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third-party information, products, or services on our websites. These third-party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. The fact that we include information about third-party products or sites is not an endorsement of those products or sites.
Compliance with Applicable Laws and Law Enforcement
We intend that the websites will comply with all applicable laws at all times, and we may change the websites and the policies without notice, including if we believe that change is necessary for legal compliance purposes. We reserve the right to disclose at any time, without prior notice, any personal information when we believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law, to enforce website policies or to protect our or others’ rights, property, or safety. Each user of the website is also required to use it in compliance with law.
California Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
We also comply with the requirements of COPPA (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act). We do not intentionally collect any information from anyone under 13 years of age. Our websites, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 13 years old or older. If a parent finds that information of a child under 13 years of age has been provided to any of the websites, please notify us at PrivacyOfficer@vitalant.org so that we can delete that information.
Vitalant National Office
9305 E. Via De Ventura
Scottsdale, AZ 85258