Host a blood drive
Blood drive coordinators have the amazing ability to motivate members of their communities to help patients by donating blood, especially when it comes to first-time donors. Because of you and your blood drives, over 75,000 people in 2021 so far have made their first blood donation at a Vitalant blood drive. Thank you!
Over 216,000 new blood donors are needed every year for us to safeguard the blood supply for patients, and the number one reason people say they donate blood is because they were personally asked. That’s why we’re launching a nationwide campaign to engage new donors on blood drives.
Use your awesome ability to motivate members of your community to help patients and join our national effort to engage first-time donors on blood drives. Here’s how:
1. Host an on-site and/or virtual blood drive in November, December and/or January.
2. Complete your drive with 20% total donations made by first-time donors.
3. Be entered to win a $300 Amazon.com Gift Card and celebrate your impact!
Click here for a printable version of this information.
5 Ways to Engage First-time Donors
1. Host a blood drive sign-up table in the lobby of your building or organization (wherever you’re hosting the blood drive). Talk to people about the importance of being a blood donor and schedule donors for
the upcoming blood drive.
2. Talk to 5 new businesses in the area. Ask them to support the blood drive and provide them with flyers to promote the drive.
3. Ask 5 of your regular donors to help join your recruitment efforts. They can post on social media or text/call 5 people they know about the upcoming blood drive. Encourage them to bring a first-time donor to the blood drive.
4. If you’re hosting a drive at work, talk to your human resources department about including blood drive information in new hire packets, presentations and employee mailboxes. Identify 5 new employees and personally invite them
to schedule an appointment for the blood drive.
5. Include a specific ask for first-time donors in your blood drive outreach emails, phone calls and collateral using the blood facts and statistics below.
Looking for more ideas? Contact your Vitalant donor recruitment representative to brainstorm additional ways to engage first-time donors tailored to your community and location.
• Host an on-site and/or virtual blood drive in November, December and/or January to qualify.
• Complete your on-site and/or virtual blood drive with at least 20% of the total donations from first time donors and be automatically entered to win one of 5 - $300 Amazon.com Gift Cards in three monthly drawings.
• The gift card is redeemable by email. No exceptions apply.
• When you host a virtual blood drive as an extension of your on-site blood drive, successful donations will be added together to calculate the total number of first-time donors. Contact your donor recruitment representative to add a virtual blood drive to your on-site drive. It allows members of your community to give blood on behalf of your group at any Vitalant location.
• Results of a virtual blood drive will be combined with the results of an on-site blood drive when applicable, resulting in one entry when the first-time donor target is reached. Donations made to the virtual blood drive must be made in the same month as the on-site blood drive to qualify for the
• The total amount of first-time donors will be calculated after the blood drive is complete.
• The total amount of first-time donors must be at least 20% of the total donations made at the on-site blood drive, virtual blood drive or a combination of the two to qualify.
• Vitalant tracks first-time donors based on successful donations.***
• The person designated in Vitalant’s blood drive planning database as the ‘primary coordinator’ for the blood drive is eligible for entry.
• Primary blood drive coordinators who meet the criteria are automatically entered into the random drawing. They do not need to opt-in to participate.
• 5 primary blood drive coordinators will be randomly selected at the completion of each month of the campaign.
• Gift card winners will be notified by phone and email. They will have 7 business days to respond and claim their gift card. Following 7 business days, the gift card will be considered declined and a new recipient will be selected.
• A blood drive coordinator is only eligible to win one gift card per month. A blood drive coordinator is eligible to win more than one gift card throughout the campaign timeframe.
We deeply appreciate your commitment to making more moments possible for patients and their families. Thank you for partnering with Vitalant. Together, we can reach more people and make a bigger difference.
*The total percent of first-time donors only includes completed donations and must be at least 20% of the total donations collected to qualify for entry, except in New Jersey, Ohio and Philadelphia. See below.
**Vitalant will hold one drawing per month and award (5) $300 Amazon.com gift cards per month. All blood drive results will be pulled when the month is over.
***In New Jersey, Ohio and Philadelphia, Vitalant tracks first-time donors based on the total number of registered donors. At least 20% first time donors must be registered to qualify.
Blood Facts & Statistics
• Every 2 seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
• One in 7 people entering a hospital will need blood..
• A single blood donation can help more than one patient and could help as many as three.
• Vitalant needs 5,300 donations every day to support patient needs in the 900 hospitals we serve.
• Vitalant needs over 216,000 new donors annually to safeguard blood needs for patients.
• The majority of the population is estimated to be eligible to donate blood but only 3% do.
• First-time donors get an initial screening of their blood type when they make their first blood donation at a Vitalant blood drive or donation center (not applicable in Nevada due to state restrictions).
• All blood types are critically needed, especially Type O.
• Type O is often needed in an emergency as well as for routine lifesaving surgeries, cancer treatment and more.
• Blood donation is an essential activity.
• All Vitalant blood drives and donation centers follow strict protocols to ensure the safety of donors, volunteers, patients and staff. Review current COVID safety measures at vitalant.org/COVID-FAQs.
• Blood donations decline as much as 20% during the winter months due to cold and flu and weather impacts.
• January is National Blood Donor month, a time to bring awareness to the constant need for new blood donors.
There is a critical blood and platelet shortage. The pandemic has impacted the number of people giving. In fact, about 92,000 fewer donors have visited Vitalant blood drives over the past year than the previous year.
About 1,000 more new and existing donors are needed each week to replenish the blood supply.
Helpful Quick Links
• Blood donor eligibility, vitalant.org/eligibility
• Donation process, vitalant.org/blood-donation-process
• Online scheduling, vitalant.org or your unique blood drive link
• Day-of donation health screening, vitalant.org/donate/health-history-questionnaire
Then, use any donate button to schedule an appointment.